The People Who Choose To Love Me

The People Who Choose To Love Me
This is my family. Watermark and all.

Thursday, November 19, 2015

Writer's Block

Here are what the last few pages that I've worked on for the "book" look like:


So...









That was page 1.


The...









That was page 2.



One time...







Page 3.


It goes on, but I won't. How do any of you writers get out of a funk? How do you bring yourself to write under pressure? Even if the pressure is self induced? I don't understand my brain. I can sit and write for hours on my blog, but when it comes to something that I think might have a chance at publication, I freeze. It's just out there forever, bound, on shelves, and for sale. Is my writing worth $11.99? I picture myself as an actress while I'm asking myself these rhetorical questions. What is my motivation?

Is it money? For sure. Is it a shot at being known as something else than a mom? Of course. But, really, why is it that writers want to write? I don't think fame is necessarily a huge motivator because I saw how many people showed up for the Furiously Happy tour and, quite frankly, I don't think I could do it. Reading my words out loud to crowds of people who are happy you are a person and can recite your own words back to you is a little overwhelming. So, why do we do it? Therapy?


9 comments:

  1. Remember the part at the end of Spinal Tap when the band members are all being asked what they'd do if there were no rock'n'roll? The answer that always speaks to me is Viv Savage's: "I'd probably jump around and get a bit stupid because there wasn't a stage for me to go on."
    That's the "why", or rather it says there is no "why". To paraphrase Yoda, Do or do not. There is no why.
    How do I jumpstart my brain? Sometimes I read something by someone else, preferably something I've never read before, although sometimes that pisses me off because I read something and think, I should have written that.
    And sometimes going to a coffee shop and just sitting with my journal is all it takes. It's like a contact high.
    And sometimes I'm like Billy Crystal in Throw Momma From The Train pacing around repeating "The night was..." over and over.
    So, yeah, I also get a lot of inspiration from movies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOOOWWWWEEEENNNN!!! Love that movie. The night was... dark. Hahaha:) Thanks for the suggestions. Trace just bought me a brand new Bradbury book I've never read so maybe that will jump start something. I need to be turned to 11.

      Delete
    2. One more piece of advice: if you find yourself really stuck, if you feel completely drained of ideas, say, "Forget this. I quit." And really mean it. It works best if you mean it because as soon as you say it you'll be up to your eyeballs in ideas.
      Now if you'll excuse me I seem to have gotten lost underneath a concert hall in Cleveland.

      Delete
  2. Hmm... I'm wondering if I should take Chris's advice for when you're really stuck. I've had bloggers block for a while now. You know, I've never seen the Spinal Tap movie. I need to put that on my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, you should probably put that at the top of your priority list because I'm pretty sure not watching that movie is a mortal sin.

      Delete
  3. I so get this. I love the act of writing. It is therapy but there is always a part that wishes the therapy would pay the darn mortgage. Keep plugging away. At least you have page numbers. It's a start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandra!! It would be nice to at least pay HALF of the bills! haha:)

      Delete
  4. Something that has helped me with writer's block is the chapter "Shitty First Drafts" in Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott.

    ReplyDelete